A R C H I T E C T U R E
Elements Architecture is a boutique architecture firm based in Barbados. Our team consists of Doug, Kate, Shane and Joy. Being small in size allows us to offer a very intimate, personalised service, but does not limit us to the size or type of project. We understand that design is personal and we tailor our approach to suit each client. Whether you’re after a traditional villa on the beach, a contemporary hideaway in the hills, or a modern penthouse in the city, we’ll help you achieve your vision.
The soul of our business is great design. We are invigorated when our clients present us with new challenges. Thanks to technology, our geography does not limit our reach. Over the past thirty years our experiences have taken us throughout the Caribbean, to Miami, London, the Americas and beyond. We’ve worked on villas, country homes, condos, commercial projects, hotels and hospitality ventures, master planning exercises, retail spaces, interior fit outs and everything in between.
We pride ourselves on the pillars of great architecture: proportions, attention to detail and the creation of exceptional spaces. It’s something inherent in us; we believe in the balance between function and creativity. We’ve tackled projects with impossible deadlines, those with tight budgets, and those that span years from conception to completion. We relish the opportunity that each project brings and we’re not satisfied until you are.
T E A M
DOUGLAS PATRICK LUKE
Architect I Director
If you’re looking for phenomenal design, Doug is your man. He is a natural designer and is not bound to a particular style; his creativity knows no limits. Doug designs traditional, transitional, contemporary and modern spaces equally effortlessly. His vast experience ranges from residences in Florida to hospitality projects throughout the Caribbean including Barbados, Turks and Caicos, St. Lucia and beyond.
- He has undertaken many master planning exercises and strongly believes in place-making; spaces that have exceptional qualities.
- Doug followed his passion and gained his degree in Architecture from Florida A & M University before resettling in Barbados. He worked with the renowned firm of Duany Plater-Zyberk and has collaborated with Léon Krier, Demetri Porphrios and Stefanos Polyzoides. Doug has regularly acted as a visiting critic for graduate and post-graduate studies, most recently at the University of Notre Dame.
- From 2000 to 2017 Doug was a Senior Director and Lead Design Architect at Gillespie & Steel Associates Ltd. (GSA) in Barbados. At GSA he was the Architect and Designer for various projects including:
• Limegrove Lifestyle Centre, St. James
• The InterAmerican Development Bank, Christ Church
• Trident Financial Center
• Arawidi Villa, Apes Hill, Barbados
• Moonshine Ridge at Apes Hill, Barbados
• The Golf Villas at Ape Hill, Barbados
• The Sandpiper Luxury Suites, Swimming Pool and Beach Bar & Terrace, St. James
• The Goddard Building The Supreme Court of Barbados
• The Sands, Christ Church Barbados
• The CGI Building, Warrens
• Warrens Towers II Somerley, Christ Church, Barbados
• The Masonic Lodge, Bridgetown, Barbados
• Wimoweh Beach Villa, St. James, Barbados
• Carlton Lane Cottages, St. James, Barbados
• Coasta Beach Cottage, Cattlewash, Barbados
• The Marina Village, Marigot Bay, St. Lucia
• The Barbados Pool, Florida
• The Savannah, Florida
• The Bradley Villa, Florida
• Live Work Building, Rosemary Beach, Fl
• The Flaig Villa, Florida
• The Mattimore Villa, Florida
• The Flippo Villa, Florida
• The Hill Villa, Florida
• Draper Lake Pools, Florida
• Haven, Turks & Caicos
- He is well versed in the art of design and likens architecture to silent music. Doug relies on the support of the team to transition his vision to reality whilst keeping a keen eye on the essence of design. He is the gate keeper of all things architecture and does not settle when it comes to creativity.
- Doug is a member of the American Institute of Architects, a LEED Green Associate and member of the US Green Building Council, a member of the Barbados Architects Registration Board, the Barbados Institute of Architects and the Congress of New Urbanism.
Designer I Director
Kate is all things detailed. She handles the implementation of projects, taking a design concept and making it a reality. Kate earned a degree in Interior Architecture from Oxford Brookes University, UK, and worked in London before returning to Barbados eight years ago. Kate is nearing completion of her Masters of Architecture while servicing the full time demands of her role at Elements.
- With an uncanny eye for detail and laser sharp focus, Kate is instrumental in the evolution of every project from conception to completion.
- Her experience covers all facets of architecture and interior design, from spatial planning to project coordination.
- Her repertoire includes high end residential, commercial and retail projects.
- Kate is a LEED Green Associate and a member of the US Green Building Council.
Shane is a nuts and bolts kind of guy. He has worked in the construction industry for over 20 years, first with Luke Architecture, Doug’s previous architecture firm, then moving with Doug when Luke Architecture merged with Gillespie & Steel Associates. Shane joined the team at Elements with a wealth of technical knowledge, both in architecture and interiors.
- An expert craftsman in his spare time, Shane’s skills equip him with the ability to detail exceptionally.
Joy is tasked with keeping the office, and the rest of us, in order. She keeps things ticking over and ensures that nothing is missed. Joy handles all things administrative, financial and even a bit of IT now and then. Her administrative backgrounds in interiors, working with Lynne Pemberton, and in project management and quantity surveying, working with Rider Levett Bucknall, have been great assets to the team.
- With over 20 years’ experience in logistics, commercial and project management, Joy leaves nothing to chance, allowing the rest of us to run with our creativity.